Touring with your bicycle is such a unique and incredible way of exploring the world and taking in its beauty. Bike touring is literally for everyone, no matter your age, gender, or health conditions.
If you are new to bike touring and you are extremely interested in doing it, there are some things that you should know before you get on your bike and tour the world. This brief guide will provide you with the necessary points you need to consider first.
1. Find the Right Bike for You
With the constant developments of touring bikes these days, you can easily find one that best suits your cycling skills and comfort needs. However, with so many bikes being flooded on the market, it can be tricky to make your selection.
Hence, it is advisable to research the advantages and disadvantages each bike before you make your purchase. Also, make sure to read reviews to help you select the right bike for touring.
2. Invest in the Right Gear
Aside from finding a good touring bike, you also need to invest in the essential touring gears and accessories. These can include camping gear, cycling bags, accessories such as gloves, helmets, and cycling goggles, cycling clothes, bike components, as well as repair tools.
Moreover, when shopping for gears and accessories, make sure to buy ones that are of excellent quality and reliability for long-term use.
3. Choose your Destination
Now onto the most exciting part, picking your bike touring destination. Although cycling around your neighbourhood is great, there are loads of places that you are yet to discover with your bike.
Thus, do not hesitate to choose a destination that is miles away so you can have an adventurous and exceptional touring experience. Just make sure that you are knowledgeable of the destination and the surrounding areas.
A Few Helpful Bike Touring Tips
- Do not litter. Always place your garbage in the right bin or bring your trash with you.
- Always be nice to people you meet along the way and be respectful.
- Be mindful of local prices.
- When camping on private property, always ask for permission first.
- Make sure your bike is always in its best condition.
- Always wear bright-coloured clothes to make you visible to other vehicle drivers.
- Always lock your bike.
- Avoid cycling in the dark.
- Never go for a ride when you are under the influence of alcohol.
- Always make sure you are in your best fitness condition.
- Never forget about proper hygiene.
There you have it! These are some of the things you need to know and consider before going on a bike touring adventure.